Lewis Anderson, a Swedish immigrant, built this house in 1895 on Pleasant Ridge, 25 miles southwest of The Dalles. Its hand-hewn logs were carved from tamarack and pine. The house was the social center of Pleasant Ridge in the late 1800’s. There are three buildings that make up the Anderson Homestead; the log house, the granary, and the barn. The granary was originally a home before it was used for storing grain. The barn was the largest and most important building on the homestead. The construction, with its careful fittings and the use of wood pegs in corners and at other intervals, reflects a high order of craftsmanship. The buildings were moved to The Dalles in 1971, and restored to their original condition, largely through community volunteer efforts. Today the Anderson Homestead is located just across the street from the Fort Dalles Museum Surgeon’s Quarters and gives visitors a peek into what pioneer life was during the 1800s.